A Summer in the City Session

When I first posted sneak peeks from this shoot on social media back in July, I dubbed it the "urban shoot," despite the fact that every time I see these photos my mental DJ cues Lovin' Spoonful's "Hot Summer in the City." Soundtrack or not, this session remains one of my favorites to date.

My good friend, Chelsea, was about to get married and suggested we celebrate my business launch with an engagement session. Then it rained for days on end--not quaint, pose under umbrellas rain, but rain of the driving, nasty, no-end-in-sight variety.

Then came a clear Sunday and we decided to for it just in case the rain returned (It did. For days.)

 But this Sunday was sunny and sultry and Chelsea was in the mood for a city shoot, so we headed to Norfolk.

It was "golden hour"--that 60 minutes or so before sunset when the sunlight is warm and the colors make their own kind of natural neon. But to my mind, an urban shoot needs some good, old-fashioned electric neon to be legit. Fortunately, thanks to the Wells Theater and a random gym? Chinese restaurant? dry cleaner? across the road, we had the best of both neons.








And if these two weren't enough to capture, Chelsea's stunning daughter, Kate was being too-cute-NOT-to-shoot in the background. Yeah...I think she's pretty comfortable in front of the camera...talent scout, anyone?


As we walked around the area, Chelsea told me how glad she was that we chose Norfolk because it's one of her favorite places--she and Andy even went on their first date at the nearby Chrysler Museum
The more we talked, the more places I wished we had time to go! But golden hour is so named for a reason: we had time for just one more location, and it resulted in Chelsea's favorite picture of the night:



Comments

Popular Posts